Wednesday, May 23, 2007

 ::

 :: The Impulse Online . com ::
courierpostonline.com  (Related)     |   Weather  (Related)     |   Jobs  (Related)     |   Cars   (Related)    |   Apartments  (Related)     |   Real Estate  (Related)     |   Shopping  (Related)     |   Dating  (Related)     |   Classifieds  (Related) 




  New

 Get the 411 on your favorite local bands.
 PLUS...

 Find out about the next local band on the rise.


 Get Fit: Week 5
 Compiled by JASON NARK

 Nutrition tip from Angela Shaw:  I am extremely pleased with the progress Caron and Stacy have made so far. Both are down approximately 7 pounds, with Stacy losing 5 percent of her initial body weight of 137 pounds and Caron losing 3.5 percent of 177 pounds.

 Individuals losing 10 percent over six months are considered to be successful according to the National Institutes of Health. These ladies have been working hard and it certainly shows.



 This week we talked about the last of our food groups -- FATS.



 The fat group includes pure fats, which we are needed so your body can absorb fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E and K, and they help prevent dry skin and hair. They key is choosing unsaturated fats instead of saturated and transfats that are linked to heart disease and cancer.



 Avoid fats that harden at room temperature, because they will harden in your arteries.



 Fats are calorie-dense, at 9 calories per gram versus 4 calories per gram for carbs and proteins, so use them sparingly.



 For weight management, 4 to 6 fat servings a day is recommended. Each serving equals 5 grams of fat/45 calories and examples include:

 1 teaspoon of olive, canola or peanut oils

 6 almonds or cashews

 10 peanuts

 2 teaspoons of peanut butter

 8 large olives

 1 tablespoon of light mayonaise

 1 teaspoon of regular mayonaise

 2 tablespoons of lowfat salad dressing (less than 5 grams of fat per 2 tbsp serving)

 1 tablespoon (or less) of regular dressings



 Angela's suggestions for fat portion control:

 1. Use oils from a spray can instead of pouring from the bottle. You will use a fraction of what you would have and save mega-calories.

 2. Use spreads that are whipped or in a spray bottle giving you greater volume for less caloires.

 3. Choose low-fat dressing and stick to 2 tablespoons (not half the bottle). Regular dressings can sabotage your efforts when consuming salads and are not a "good bang for your calorie buck." Some are 200 calories for 2 tablespoons. Wouldn't you rather eat real food for 200 calories instead of a condiment that is not filling you up?

 There is a vast assortment of reduced fat choices (less than 5 grams of fat in 2 tablespoons), so experiment. Mix light dressing in cold pasta salads for summer barbecue instead of rich, heavy mayonnaise. Remember to toss plenty of colorful veggies in that salad, too.

 4. Bring your own salad dressing when dining outside the home. Use small plastic containers.

 5. Nuts and peanut butter are perfect mixed fuels (carbs/protein/fat) but watch your portions since they are calorie dense. If you cannot control yourself, do not have them around.

 6. Beware of full-fat cream cheese, butters, sour cream -- which are also saturated fats.

 Choose reduced fat or fat-free versions for your heart and body.



 Contact Shaw through Healthy Weigh at Cooper University Hospital, (856) 321-0012.

 Training tip from Linus Bolden:  Losing fat doesn't come through the exercise, it comes through the eating. If you eat bad, you're just putting that fat back into your stomach. When you're trying to lose fat, you basically have to watch what you're eating and move. That could be running, cycling, or any other sport activity. Those things have to coincide. There's really no particular exercise for losing fat -- you can run, but again you have to monitor your calories.

 The girls are both toning up, losing inches, and I think their clothes are fitting better now. I'm definitely seeing the muscles toning and Jackie's strength is getting better. I'm putting them on their third fuel tank now. They're both into it. They are challenging each other -- I think they have a little contest between themselves. I wish I were with them more, but even through e-mail, I tell them, this is what you're working out and why. You need to focus on the feeling.

 Snap Fitness tip from owner Bob Royal:  Our Cybex hip abductor/adductor machine is the most popular piece of equipment we have here. The Cybex machines have a natural motion, with various weight plates. Women also like using the chest press, lat pull down, and the rear and delt fly machine.

 As far as men who want to build muscle, I still think you have to incorporate a little bit of cardio into your workout. Even if it's just 15 minutes on a treadmill, it get's the blood flowing and helps prevent tears and pulls.

 Caron Jackson's progress:  I have lost 8 pounds so far, and feel fabulous. I think I can make it to 10, by the end of this week. I don't think it will be hard to keep up what I have learned. I see results and want to keep losing weight, so I am motivated. Also, summer season is just around the corner and we have a pool, so I want to cute in my bikini..2. My family is very supportive, encouraging me to continue on my diet. They check with me before making dinner, to make sure that I have something healthy to eat.I keep making baby steps when it comes to my food and my boyfriend has been very supportive -- he even tries the new food I bring home.

 I love the Kashi cereal. It is high in fiber and fills you up quickly. Also you can put it on top of yogurt.

 Participant progress Stacy DiMeglio:  "I didn't get a workout in with Linus because something came up, but I'm working out a couple times a week. I pretty much stick with the routine he's given us. I've taken up some classes -- cardio classes -- with an instructor. The weight loss is slow and steady -- I'm down 7 pounds total.

 I don't think it's going to be too hard to continue the routine once we're done.It's a decision I made to change my lifestyle. The nutritionist has given me the tools to make the changes, but it's going to be gradual One of the things I bought was "Skinny Cows" -- they make ice cream sandwiches. It's a healthy alternative. I came home and my son was there with a friend, and they had picked those out of the fridge. I didn't let them see the package and they didn't even know the difference. The family is doing all right, they're more conscious of what I'm trying to do. Last night I made whole wheat pasta. They're little, subtle changes -- I'm slipping the goodness in.

 I eat more fruits and vegetable now more than ever. No one's going to harass you for eating too many fruits and veggies.

 ADVERTISEMENT

Advertise with us!  (Related)  Advertise with us!



No comments: